Gastric Sleeve has become very common to help fight against Obesity.
Is obesity one of the last acceptable prejudice in our culture. If obesity is a disease then why do people laugh an overweight person, making joking and demining them? Can you imagine people openly laughing at people with other disabilities? That would be wrong if you laughed at someone walking a with a crutch or an amputee. But, it totally acceptable to laugh and make unacceptable name calling of overweight persons. Funny I don’t think so, Mean I agree.
The numbers of obesity American are amazing; the terrifying part is that these numbers are increasing with passing year.
• 35% of American adults and 17 % of children and teens are obese. According to the CDC
• Every state in the United States have at least 20 % of their population are obese. According to the WHO in 2008 statistics.
• 1.4 billion People of the world are obese age 20 years and older.
• The 5th leading cause of global deaths is from obesity.
The obese patient suffers drastically from the impact of the cost of, multiple sick days due to their compromise health.
Research has been done and obese people make less money than their counterpart for the same experience and job performance. Not only their wages lower but the decision to hire a person who is obese, a huge determining factor if someone gets hired.
If you’re invited to a social gather you may not participate simply because you feel self-conscious.
For most obese patients or family member they choose to stay home only to avoid the embarrassment of going to the class reunion they don’t want anyone to see how much weight they have put on.
I mean what are the chances of going the company’s annual amusement park outing. I know from experience how humiliating it can be if you don’t fit into the rides seat belt so to avoid all of that embarrassment I would just stay home.
The physical effects of obesity are called co morbidities. Eventually they health problems will limit the amount of year you will live. They are actually killing you a little but every single day.
• Cardiovascular disease- this is the #1 killer of American, being obese is a huge risk factor for heart disease. High cholesterol and hypertension are common cardiovascular problems.
• Type 2 diabetes- more than 85 % of type 2 diabetes are overweight. Diabetes in the bodies inability to control blood glucose level. There are many complications that are involved diabetes. Nerve damages, blindness kidney damage, heart disease and hypertension. Over 50 % of the patient that get amputation are due to diabetes.
• Sleep apnea-patient with sleep apnea actually stops breathing while they are sleeping.
Sleep apnea can lead to other medical problems including hypertension, diabetes, and weight gain. The most common symptom is snoring, choking or gagging while sleeping.
• GERD –acid reflux disease happens because too much fat pressing up on the stomach. The acid floods into the esophagus and burns the lining.
• Asthma-an inflammation of the airways causing difficulty breathing. It has been known that obese patient has bad asthma. Acid reflux can get into the lung and cause chronic inflammation so asthma has a direct correlation to obesity.
Obese people, many times don’t go to the doctor because they don’t want to deal with you need to lose weight. It has been a known fact that about 95% of people with obesity do not lose or keep the weight off with dieting. Many health problems do not get diagnosed because the avoidance of sees the primary care physician. Obesity is the disease that causes so many other health concerns in American and through the world today. So how do we change this awful trending and obesity in American I dont think there is one sure answer. I know as a previously women weight over 300 pounds the only way I was able to lose weight was with surgery not that the answer for everyone but it works for me. When all else fail and diet and exercise doesnt work,there are other option to turn too. I know I feel for me it was the best decision I ever made. I have never been healthier or happier in my entire life. I have something to get up in the morning and to look forward to. At my heaviest I was not happy, I was so depressed I could stand myself let alone any one else. But today I have something to look forward to and it calls live.